We’re thrilled to see that day coming soon, and we are especially excited for what the end of COVID-19 will mean for our brunch Franchise Owners, some of whom may be opening their doors for the very first time in 2021. Here’s a quick look at what we foresee as the future of brunch- as well as brunch franchise locations like Toastique- as our world slowly but surely gets back to normal.
The Toastique Brunch Franchise: a Pandemic-Resistant Model!
The COVID-19 pandemic has left no stone unturned. Businesses, world governments, and people have had to adapt, finding workarounds and pivots to meet changing consumer needs in this “new normal” we continue to navigate.
Though the restaurant industry was among one of the hardest hit by the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, with some restaurants and franchises struggling to stay open amid statewide shutdowns, and some even closing for good.
However, all is not lost- in fact, some restaurants who were able to successfully pivot their business model to emphasize take-out, delivery, or curbside service found themselves breaking even or, in some cases, remaining profitable throughout the duration of the statewide shutdowns that forced some of their competitors out of business. We’re proud to say that our brunch franchise was one such restaurant- so much so that we not only have been able to keep business thriving throughout the pandemic, but we even opened our newest Navy Yard location right in the middle of it, in June 2020!
Today, nearly one year into COVID-19 and the new way of life that has emerged from it, restaurant managers and customers have gotten used to navigating ever-changing restaurant restrictions. Ordering online, through apps, or over the phone has become the norm, and people are becoming more used to either ordering takeout or delivery, eating outside on patio tables, or complying with the safety guidelines and mandates that accompany indoor dining when possible.
Of course, COVID-19 won’t be here forever, though it may seem like it sometimes. We’ll be able to go out and enjoy meals with our friends and family members once more, perhaps even sooner than we think! When you stop to think about all the people who miss lazy Sunday brunches and can’t wait to get back to weekend breakfasts with their favorite crew, right now seems like a perfect time to invest in a brunch franchise like Toastique! With our healthy, all-natural meals and snacks and our built-in ‘grab-and-go’ service model, we just may be the future of brunch!
Lessons from the past
In 1918, the Spanish influenza epidemic took over the world in a way that was similar to what we’re seeing today. After governments and public health systems around the world were able to control it, the world experienced the “Roaring Twenties” – a decade marked by ostentatiousness, celebration, and prosperity. True, not everything turned out as desired, but one thing was clear: after getting a deadly disease under control, people were craving a sense of normalcy and even decadence after turning the corner.
Financial experts anticipate a similar boom in demand for some of the things we’ve been missing most over the past year (ummm, brunch with friends, anyone?) once we’re able to return to normal. Seems to us like a pretty good time to have a Toastique brunch franchise grand opening!
What this means for our brunch Franchise Owners
The National Restaurant Association projects growth in the restaurant industry through 2030, with a projection of up to 17 million jobs and up to $1.3 trillion in worldwide sales by the end of the decade. As Toastique focuses on brunch and breakfast items, our Franchise Owners are well-positioned to anticipate steady growth.
Did you know that:
- In 2020, digital sales comprised up to 20% of all total sales, showing that customers quickly adapted to changing scenarios.
- Breakfast and brunch items are generally cost-effective and can easily be packaged for better delivery or pick-up options.
- Health and wellness products are expected to continue seeing steady sales. Breakfast foods such as yogurt, granola, fruit juices, and smoothies all fall into this category. Offering these options can help your franchise stand out and cater to a growing market of health-conscious people.
- Smoothies and juices also continued to sell steadily in 2020 despite the pandemic, showing that millennials are interested and willing to invest in products that cater to their unique needs. The U.S. juice and smoothie market’s estimated value is $5.5 billion.* (Numbers obtained from our 2020 FDD). This sector is expected to continue to grow over the next 5 years.
The future of post-COVID restaurants
Breakfast and brunch franchise restaurants like Toastique have the potential to adapt quickly. Unlike fine dining or traditional casual dining restaurants, we don’t have to worry about things like hiring servers or hosts, and we can keep our menu options simple, fresh, and easy to prepare, making for either a perfect grab-and-go experience or more relaxed, come-as-you-are in-house dining when possible. Simpler menus also allow you the opportunity to focus on the following:
- Going paperless. COVID made people uneasy about having to touch menus that were probably never sanitized. Consumers are now used to logging onto the internet to see your offerings.
- No-contact options. Though many consumers are ready to dine-in, it’s likely that some people will remain weary of restaurants. No-contact options, such as creating apps, using existing third-party apps, or coming up with innovative digital options can only help you. Customers can conveniently order their favorite items and choose their pick-up or delivery method.
- Additional safety trainings. Food-borne illnesses and bacteria have been a problem in the restaurant industry even before the pandemic. Now is the time to beef up your safety certification, teach your staff how to properly wear and dispose of their personal protective equipment, and possibly get used to the fact that mask-wearing may become more common in the industry. In fact, customers may even insist on this, since masks prevent aerosolized droplets to get into their meals and protects them from illnesses other than COVID-19.
- Better social media practices. COVID-19 forced businesses of all kinds to change how they use social media. For Toastique Franchise Owners, this means an all-time high number of Instagram followers! Our brunch franchise support team helps Franchise Owners stay in touch with customers, build loyalty programs, and gather testimonials about how great your food is, all through social media. Seeing as how we were able to earn over $1 MILLION at our first store location during our first year in business,* all without spending a penny on marketing, it’s safe to say we know how to use social media to our brunch Franchise Owners’ advantage!
The outlook for demand on places of social gathering, including brunch franchise restaurants like Toastique, is slowly on the uptick as our systems of public health continue to work hard to ensure life can go back to normal. For now, innovations in online ordering, curbside pickup, and third-party delivery helps our Franchise Owners continue to satisfy even the fiercest gourmet toast cravings to our loyal customers without skipping a beat.
Brunch is about to make a big comeback as the world reopens, and with our unique menu options that can’t be found at any other national brunch franchise, Toastique is poised to be at the forefront of the action! Visit our breakfast franchise website to learn more about Toastique and how it can become a part of your community.